Skip to main content

Zambia Mission Trip Day 8- Monze, Zambia

June 26, 2013

Daily Scripture text (exactly as it was sent): But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Amen!!!! Isaiah 40:31 NLT Have a blessed day!

When we got to Monze we checked into our motel-Southern Comfort- not like any motel I've ever seen- had one room huts with grass roofs- yes they were quite cute! (The British say quite a lot so I think I might have picked up on it!-Giggle :)-) OK...Then we headed straight to the village of Simikale. We visited a school there and worked with Luyando Kids Club. They cook a meal and feed some of the kids. Before the bus even stopped the kids were crowding the bus! They are fascinated by Americans!! We immediately started helping wash dishes and pump water. We were able to play games with the kids and love on them. Every single one is so precious!! We met kids as young as 4 years up to 13 years, and a few little babies. There were ladies there that cook the meal every day. Today they had nshima, cabbage and sausage. We were able to eat with them. Talking to Kelsey (founder of Luyando KC) I found out this meal is the kids only meal, for most, of the day. Not all of the kids eat because Luyando is christian based and their parents are a different religion- called Seventh Day Adventist- so their children are not allowed to eat the food because it is made by Christians, even if there is no food at home. I felt like I was hit with a ton of bricks! Number 1- This was quite possibly their ONLY MEAL and number 2- Some kids had to watch the other kids eat and do without the ONLY MEAL they would have a chance to eat that day because of their religion!! As hungry as I was and as good as the food tasted, I could not bring myself to eat my bowl of food. Every bite I would take tears would stream down my face. I had already had one meal today and I had a bag full of snacks in my room and here I sit with a bowl full of food that one of those babies could be eating. I told Gaylene I wanted to give my food to the kids; she told me I could set my bowl on the ground next to them and after I walked away they would take it and eat it or even take it home so the rest of their family could eat. So that's what I did.

I think of the many times I have prayed- God, break my heart for what breaks Yours. Today is the day He answered my prayer! My heart is broken in more ways than I could ever put down on this paper!

I am so proud of Grace also. She has walked through every hardship, same as the adults and teenagers and has yet to whine or cry. She has eaten everything put in front of her (well tasted it at least!), enjoyed every obstacle and loved on those kids like Jesus would have. The kids love her and she has loved them back wholeheartedly!

We have only been here half a day and I already do not want to leave. Tears ran down my cheeks as I got back on the bus. I cannot wait to see what the rest of the week holds in store for us. God is good!!



 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Made New...

I read my Bible every morning as soon as Grace and Justice (JC) leave for school. I used to open it and flip through it to different books and verses and then one day it hit me...I'm not really getting anywhere... So now I read an entire book at a time. I also check off the books I have completed on the contents page at the front. It is my goal to read every book in the Bible before I die!! :) Right now I am reading Isaiah. I'm only to Chapter 13 but already I can relate my life, especially my past, to the Judians. In chapter 1 Isaiah is preaching about religious hypocrisy... I grew up in a christian home, I accepted Christ as my Savior when I was 8. I went to church with my family every Sunday morning and night and on Wednesday evenings. I knew without a doubt that God is real and that he cared for me. I knew he was there whenever I wanted him to be. As I got into high school I was a super christian when I was at church, around my parents or other "churchy" peopl

February 12, 1999

On Friday, February 12, 1999 my life was changed forever. I was a senior in High School. That night, like most Friday nights, I was with Cody. It was almost time for my curfew so I started home. We lived about 10 miles out in the country. I was almost out of town when I came upon a one car wreck. It had just happened, maybe a couple minutes before I got there. There was someone on a phone outside of the pickup, I assumed they were calling 911. There was a pickup that was sideways in an old building. Most of the pickup was covered with ruble from the building collapsing on top of it. I couldn't tell very much about the pickup because it was damaged and, like I said, covered up, but there was one very distinguishing part of the paint job on the pickup that I immediately noticed. The pickup belonged to a very close friend of mine and my brother, I'm talking brother close!! His name was Jeremy, we called him JC, he was 19. Panic set in almost immediately! I knew that my real

Grace

Since Grace's birthday was a couple weekends ago I am going to dedicate this week's post to her!!! In my last post I shared a little about how she became so today I want to tell you a story about her but first I decided to google the word grace, here are a few things I came across that really hit home for me: Grace is the only thing that gives us power to stand Grace is a free gift a special favor: privilege These three statements sum up our Grace but today I am going to focus on the first statement: Grace is the only thing that gives us power to stand. In December 2005, Grace was 2 almost 3 when I had a miscarriage. Grace was my reason for living during these weeks and months that followed. When I look back now I truly believe if not for Grace I literally would have laid in bed and mourned myself to death. She was the only reason that I got out of bed in the morning. I am not trying to take anything away from Cody, he is my husband and I love him but during this se