Skip to main content

A New Year...

I cannot believe the beginning of another year is upon us!! Every year during the month of December my thoughts always seem to drift back over what happened that year. Many things came to mind, I will share a few of the bigger things that happened in 2011 and seemed to shape my year; our oldest daughter was diagnosed with ADHD, my grandfather passed away and I worked my aunt's Walk to Emmaus but I have to say that the number one thing that changed my life in 2011 was a challenge I accepted in January. KLOVE radio challenged its listeners to ask God to give them one word for the year of 2011. Now, I must pause for a second and admit I really do not listen to KLOVE, I only listen to AIR1 but for some reason I changed stations and heard the DJ's talking about this challenge, a God thing, I would say so. So I thought okay God, I will do this, give me one word...immediately...PRAY...okay that seems pretty simple I pray pretty often. Little did I know how much this one simple word would change my life!

I had already been asked to work on my aunt's Walk to Emmmaus team that would be in November 2011 and she also asked me to be on her prayer team. So I'm on the prayer team and my word for the year is pray! These two things put together forever changed my life and my relationship with my heavenly Father.

In April 2011 my oldest daughter, Grace, was diagnosed with ADHD but minus the hyper. My only defense and peace of mind has been to pray her and myself through the tough, questionable moments. My grandfather, who was 85, and healthy as a horse became suddenly ill with a very rare disease and passed away within weeks of his diagnosis in August 2011. Once again with a broken heart my only comfort was prayer, not only my own but the prayers of my precious "other side" (this means my in-laws but I don't like that term because they are just as much a part of who I am as my own family) of the family and my closest friends. In November 2011 I had the honor of serving God and Penny as a member of the prayer team on Penny's walk. What an amazing experience!!! I have worked walks before but never on the prayer team and I must say my socks were blessed off, not only by the pilgrims and team but by the other 3 ladies, on the prayer team, I had the pleasure of working with! If you have never been on a Walk to Emmaus DO IT, your life will never be the same!! There were many other events, problems and joys in 2011 but we don't have the time right now to travel down those paths, so maybe another day, but I will say that through each one my answer was prayer and that is exactly what got me through the year of 2011.

So the other day as I was thinking back over everything, I thought I want another word for 2012. So I started talking to God and I said "God I want to challenge myself again with another word BAM! CHANGE." What??? I didn't even get to complete my sentence so I know that is not the word, I don't even like change! So I started again and I am still getting CHANGE running through my head. So I asked God to give me some kind of conformation that this REALLY is the word from Him.

Well I got a new phone a couple weeks ago and I decided to put a signature on my email setting, I wanted a verse so I started looking for one. This is the verse I came across, So all of us who have had that veil removed can see and reflect the glory of the Lord. And the Lord-who is the Spirit- makes us more and more like him as we are changed into his glorious image. 2 Corinthians 3:18 NLT. Well if that's not confirmation I don't know what is!! Let me be a little too honest right now...I HATE CHANGE!!! And that is exactly what I told God!! But He didn't care. When I think about change my heart starts to pound a little faster in my chest (and it's not the good kind of beating).

I like to know what is to come so that I can be prepared when it happens. I like to have a plan and a schedule of events. The definition of change is make or become different (verb); the act or instance of making or becoming different (noun). This says to me that I am not going to know what is coming or when but I can have peace in knowing that God knows and that is all that matters to me! If change for me means 2 Corinthians 3:18 then bring on 2012!!!

Now I want to issue the same challenge to each of you...ask God to give you one word for 2012. I dare you to do this and see how God will change your year and your life!

Happy and Blessed New Year to all of you!!!
Grace

Pa

The Prayer Team
God Bless,
Denissa

Comments

  1. Im so proud of the spiritual person you have become denissa. You have inspired me to make major CHANGES in my life starting today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God gave me my word yesterday and also the convwrmation through my Jesus calling devotion! My woed is "Peace". I have need in this and am very excited that God is going to show me how to acbieve it and be content and share it. Thank yo Denissa for the challenge and Thank you God for being my partner in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I found your blog! I definitely wasn't looking for it but have been blessed by your blog post. The thought of asking God for a word for 2012 is pretty scary. I'm afraid of what he may be asking of me but I may do some searching to see what he has in store for me. Thank you for being one of my 2011 blessings!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Made New...

I read my Bible every morning as soon as Grace and Justice (JC) leave for school. I used to open it and flip through it to different books and verses and then one day it hit me...I'm not really getting anywhere... So now I read an entire book at a time. I also check off the books I have completed on the contents page at the front. It is my goal to read every book in the Bible before I die!! :) Right now I am reading Isaiah. I'm only to Chapter 13 but already I can relate my life, especially my past, to the Judians. In chapter 1 Isaiah is preaching about religious hypocrisy... I grew up in a christian home, I accepted Christ as my Savior when I was 8. I went to church with my family every Sunday morning and night and on Wednesday evenings. I knew without a doubt that God is real and that he cared for me. I knew he was there whenever I wanted him to be. As I got into high school I was a super christian when I was at church, around my parents or other "churchy" peopl

February 12, 1999

On Friday, February 12, 1999 my life was changed forever. I was a senior in High School. That night, like most Friday nights, I was with Cody. It was almost time for my curfew so I started home. We lived about 10 miles out in the country. I was almost out of town when I came upon a one car wreck. It had just happened, maybe a couple minutes before I got there. There was someone on a phone outside of the pickup, I assumed they were calling 911. There was a pickup that was sideways in an old building. Most of the pickup was covered with ruble from the building collapsing on top of it. I couldn't tell very much about the pickup because it was damaged and, like I said, covered up, but there was one very distinguishing part of the paint job on the pickup that I immediately noticed. The pickup belonged to a very close friend of mine and my brother, I'm talking brother close!! His name was Jeremy, we called him JC, he was 19. Panic set in almost immediately! I knew that my real